Pages

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Review: A Non-Cringeworthy Historical Romance


I was recommended the book, Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati, and was recommended the series, in fact, by a fellow LT reader based on my appreciation of the Diana Gabaldon, Outlander series. Thank you! I'm not much of a historical romance reader, unless done well (as an example, I wasn't particularly fond of the series that begins with Knight Errant, by R Garcia Y Robertson-though I do applaud the idea of his story, and the heroine is compelling.) However, the writing of Ms. Lippi is excellent and very reminiscent of Diana Gabaldon's style.

For me, Elizabeth "Boots" Bonner's journey into the new world and her strength and intelligence encourage the reader to appreciate and identify with her character the way I typically don't identify with most romance heroines. The challenges she and her husband face together are surmountable when they work together to outwit their foes.

I did have a "come on!" moment at the end of the book when I learned that Daniel is likely the heir to a Scottish Earldom, but decided I didn't care, at least as it related to the end of the this book. I enjoyed the rest of the book too much. But now I'm waiting to read the next ones (which I couldn't find in the bookstore).

No comments: