Pages

Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Women: Where is The Woman Power?

I saw The Women on Saturday. Eh, it was okay. Meg Ryan as Mary Haines get's shafted when the spritzer girl at Saks (played by Eva Mendes) steals her husband and her best girlfriends- stereotypical career woman, Sylvia Fowler (played by Annette Benning); stereotypical mom, Edie Cohen (played by Debra Messing) and stereotypical author/lesbian, Alex Fisher (played by Jada Pinkett Smith) act has her conernerstones as Mary's life is crumbling and then very quickly gets rebuilt. Mary's mom is Candace Bergen and housekeeper is Chloris Leachman. Debi Mazar, Carrie Fisher and Bette Midler also make good smaller appearances and I always like to see Joanna Gleason in anything. She cracks me up. Problem is that despite all this talent the movie fell flat. The chutzpah factor was almost as non-existent as the expressions on Meg Ryan's face from all that Botox. My friend Cyndi (who has curly hair) is also disappointed that they got her to be more chic by getting rid of Meg's curls. Cyndi has a point.

It is cute enough, just wait to see it on DVD and expect to be a little disappointed. I'm all for woman power, so I want to know where it went here? I am woman, hear me curl up on the couch and sleep?

No comments: